Its Exciting and Safe when you do it the right way!
How Many Lessons Should I take
Everyone learns at their own pace. But here are Pacific Watersports, we recommend taking 3 lessons. For most people, 3 lessons is enough to get you independent. Once you are an independent kiteboarder, you will be able to go out and practice kiteboarding by yourself.
Becoming a competent kiteboarder takes time, and the journey is worth it. The key is patience and enjoying the journey. Here is a standard outine of what to expect from your first 3 lessons with us.
Lesson 1 is all about kite control. These kites are powerful, so it is important to gain the skills, so that you control the kite, instead of the kite controlling you.
- Location Analysis
- Wind Effects, direction and speed
- The Wind Window
- Kite Setup
- Emergency Release
- Basic Kite Piloting Skills
- Launching and landing the kite from the water
- Launching and landing the kite from the beach
- Emergency Self Landing on the Beach
- Simulated Self Rescue on the Beach
- First Body Drag and Self Rescue
- Body Dragging Down wind
- directional body dragging
- directional body dragging using the board as a keel
- handling the board while holding the kite
- Retrieving the board from upwind using directional boy dragging
- Water Start theory
- Using figure of 8 to generate power to get on the board
- First water start
- Riding downwind for 50 metres
- Riding while maintaining an edge
- Riding in both directions
This is a guide to the first 3 lessons and is by no means a hard and fast rule. Some people pick this up very quickly and can acheive everything in 2 lessons. Others may take more than 3 lessons. The main thing is enjoy the learning in a safe and fun way. 🙂